For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and WONDERFULLY made;
your works are wonderful;
I know that full well.
-Psalm 139:12-14
Dad here; guest blogging for Mom as she feeds little Austin (not that little from her point of view).
As many of you already know Austin Wayne was born at 4:48 pm last night April 6th, 2010. After all was said and done he weighed in at whopping 9lbs 4oz and was a surprising 21.25 inches long. I told him to enjoy his time at the top (of the growth charts) because us Massey's seem to go down the percentiles pretty quickly. Mom is feeding Austin right now and he is doing awesome so far. He seems to be a natural and I knew his mom would be. I guess when you come out with such an impressive physique you have to work extra hard to keep it.
THE DETAILS:
*DISCLAIMER: If you are not type A or hyperanalytical this section may be very boring so just SKIP TO THE PICTURES. If you are type A or hyperanalytical....ENJOY!
Kim's water broke at 1:45am yesterday and we proceeded to get the last of the checklist items together. We arrived at the hospital at about 3:00am. At that point Kim was having contractions every 3 minutes and feeling them for sure. We got checked in and Kim was dilated to about 3cm, 80% effaced, and at a -2. The anesthesiologist came by at about 5:30 or so and quickly provided Kim with great relief (thank God for Ropivacaine and good Doctors). She started feeling much better and was able to sleep off and on for the next 2-3 hours. Dr. Flowers first saw Kim at about 8:00 and she was still at 3cm, a -2, and about 90% effaced after having contractions every 2 minutes for the past few hours. Shortly thereafter MeMe (Kim's mom Jonna) arrived at about 8:30. We proceeded to enjoy the company and Kim was started on a light oxytocin drip to help get her contractions to become more productive.
Between 8-10am Kim went from 3cm to 7cm and things seemed to be picking up a bit. By 11am she was at 9cm, a -1, and 90% effaced. MawMaw (my mom Diane) arrived at about noon and I sat back and enjoyed watching the three women talk excitedly about the baby. At 1:00pm Kim was at 10cm and 100% effaced and Austin was fully engaged at a 0. They wanted to let him continue coming down on his own and so we anxiously awaited "pushing time". Our amazing nurse Kyle (female) came back in to help Kim start pushing at 2:20pm. I took the right, Jonna took the left, and Diane took the ice chips and oxygen. Kim worked very hard for about 1 hour but Austin was only down to a -1. Nurse Kyle called Dr. Flowers and she worked with Kim for about 15-20 minutes. She said we were not progressing much and that "plan B" was looking more imminent but Austin's heart rate remained strong so she said we sould keep going. Kim had decided that she did not want a C-section unless Austin was not doing well so we chose to keep pushing. Kim continuing pushing for another hour and when Dr. Flowers returned Austin was still at a -1 and I could tell Kim was spent and a little discouraged. Determined to give it her best shot she allowed the anesthesiologist to take her off of the epidural so she could really feel her contractions. Dr. Flowers said her only option if we were going to do this without a C-section was to use the "birthing spoons" (aka: salad tossers). She encouraged Kim that the "spoons" were only for guiding his head so she needed to push as hard as she possibly could. Dr. Flowers put on partial surgical attire and we were ready to try. Kim gave it all she had and Dr. Flowers did as well. Dr. Flowers got Austin's head past Kim's pelvis but then his shoulder was stuck. At that point there were about 5 nurses in the room and 2 of them brushed Jonna and I out of the way to help Dr. Flowers. At this point everyone in the room seemed a bit paniced except for Dr. Flowers who continued to calmly assure us that Austin was just fine. She proceeded to give Kim an episiotmy and Austin made his full debut at 4:48pm.
Three of the nurses took Austin as Dr. Flowers and the other two nurses tended to Kim. Austin was not breathing at first so he was bagged and I couldn't help but feel helpless and worried but tried not to show any of my fear to Kim. Finally, we heard Austin cry and we followed suit in a sheer gesture of emotional relief.
All in all, it was a long, tough labor and delivery. I could not be more proud of Kim. She showed incredible grit and determination throughout the process and I am amazed by her in a whole new way. I am thankful to Dr. Flowers who was absolutely awesome with both her commitment to helping Kim deliver vaginally and her technical expertise. But most of all I am amazed at our Creator. What an inspiring testament to His beautiful plan. He deserves our praise, adoration, and full devotion. I have a whole new appreciation for David's words in Psalm 139. Thank you Lord!
Thank you all for your prayers, phone calls, and texts of encouragement. We are truly blessed with wonderful family and friends!
Thanks for telling austin's birth story daddy..my type A self LOVED the details!! That is the same verse I have written in Emerson's baby book...it is perfect for all the emotions surrounding your childs birth. So proud of all three of you
ReplyDeleteOH my what an ordeal!!! Kim, you are incredible...so proud of both you and CC!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the details Daddy CC!! I LOVED every single bit of it! So proud of you and Kimmy, and so AMAZED that Austin came into this world as such a big boy!! I can't wait to meet him :) Love and prayers being sent your way!
ReplyDeleteC.C., I just want to cry reading this! I know what a stressful, joy filled day that was! I am so happy for ya'll...can't wait to meet Austin! Going on to the next page and pictures now!!!
ReplyDelete